Bullying in the Workplace
Beyond Bullying: Causes, Prevention and Cure
Overcoming Workplace Bullying with Needs-based Communication
Many employers are now committed to upholding the right of individuals to be treated fairly, and with respect, and to supporting positive and effective working relationships. And yet in the workplace, claims of bullying, harassment, discrimination and victimisation are increasing. These involve huge investments of time and resources. They are always painful and can be extremely damaging to those involved.
Accusations of bullying and harassment are determined by the impact of one’s behaviour, not the intent. Although it is important to understand and recognise differences in perception, the most essential task — and the real cure for difficult working relationships — is to realise the effect of our communication and behaviour upon others.
Investing in improved relationships at work is nowadays an essential, not a luxury. Improved skills reduce organisational losses, and radically improve performance and efficiency. Our working relationships benefit, trust amongst colleagues builds, and we are able to contribute at our best as leaders and team-members.
- To raise awareness of bullying within the workplace
- To recognise and prevent bullying behaviours — by oneself or by colleagues
- To build mutual respect, safety and trust within the work environment
The course will increase your ability to:
- Treat others with respect and fairness
- Deal with in-built differences
- Prevent inadvertent bullying
- Avoid personality clashes
- Stop harsh, demanding or sharp comments
- Reduce insidious judging and blaming
- Recognise the effect and symptoms of bullying behaviour
- Handle power responsibly
- Balance the needs of team, task and individual
- Respond to accusations of bullying and harassment
- Contribute to a healthy and productive working environment